Wednesday, May 16, 2012

World Vision!

Since moving to Austin, I have started working for a fabulous hospice agency- www.hospiceofthehills.org- more on this later... The company is new and right now I'm working there as needed. So since I still have free time, I found a part-time job with World Vision to work with them at Barton Creek Mall. I just love the girls that I work with and this job has taught me so much. I am by no means a fundraiser, but have learned where there is heart for what you believe in, then there is a way to learn the skills you need to do the job.

My duty is to get sponsors for kids representing over 20 countries and the communities that are in the most need of support right now. I have had hundreds of conversations about how people's contribution will help the communities that these precious little ones live in... it's been indirectly right up my alley with this inner need of doing community development :). Basically we don't give people fish, we teach them how to fish to be self-sustaining.

Out of the hundreds of conversations I have had, not all of them lead to that person sponsoring. I am always overwhelmingly blown away by the way that the Lord shows up through people to encourage us right when we need it, right when we have been ignored over and over (or heard so many no's we want to scream!). There are good people in this world. There are people doing remarkable things. I have talked with a UT student who is biking from Austin to Alaska to raise money for MD Anderson for cancer, a woman who is moving to Thailand with her newborn baby to work with abused and neglected girls, an incredibly generous woman who sponsors 2 kids and prays for them every day, etc. I have to believe that God is going to use sponsorships, andthe seeds we plant, and the relationships that come from them to His glory.


Our lovely and interactive World Vision booth!


No comments:

Post a Comment